SUBTITLE FILMS AS A LINGUISTIC PROBLEM
The object of study is the series, which were shown on various Ukrainian TV channels: “Merezhivo Doli” (“Inter” TV channel), “Boronene kokhannya” (“Inter” TV channel), “Forget & Zgadai” (“Ukraine” TV channel), “Slid” ( TV channel "Ukraine"), "Bezsmertnik" (TV channel "Ukraine"). Subject of research: lack of subtitling as a way of audiovisual translation, as well as analysis recorded in Ukrainian subtitles, made in the course of working with Russian-language TV shows. Objective: to prove the need for more thorough and competent editing of Ukrainian subtitles, received in text form on the air of the leading domestic TV channels based on specific examples from subtitled films. During the work the following methods were used: observation, descriptive, comparative, analysis and synthesis, as well as generalizations. As a result of the research, it was established that it is the poor quality work of the editor that leads to the fact that Russian-language TV shows are superimposed on low-quality Ukrainian subtitles, and this plays an important role in shaping the general literacy of Ukrainians. The analysis of errors requiring the response of the professional community and recipients has a social and cultural significance. Visual perception of incorrectly written words or unedited sentences and phrases is one of the ways to popularize illiteracy among the population of our country. Today, representatives of the media community, having the necessary arsenal of knowledge and relevant technical equipment, are sometimes disregarding the performance of their professional duties, and this indicates a low level of their skills and special training. Conclusions: working on subtitles for an audiovisual product, the editor or subtitle covers not only all textual material, but also draws attention to other aspects of media art (working with monologues, dialogues, sound effects, images, and the general atmosphere of the frame). Professionalism involves not only creating a high-quality text product for the viewer / reader, but also an appropriate and adequate connection between non-verbal and verbal elements of the original and the translation.
2. Gorshkova, V. Ye. (2007), “Translation to the movies: dubbing vs. subtitles (based on Luke Besson’s film “Angel. A”, France, 2005) ”, NSU Bulletin [“Perevod v kino: dublirovaniye vs. subtitry (na materiale fil'ma Lyuka Bessona «Angel.A», Frantsiya, 2005 g.)”, Vestnik NGU], т. 5. vup. 1, pp. 135–140.
3. Gorshkova, V.Ye. (2006), The theoretical basis of the process-oriented approach to the translation of film dialogue (on the basis of contemporary cultural cinema): author’s abstract [Teoreticheskiye osnovy protsessooriyentirovannogo podkhoda k perevodu kinodialoga (na materiale sovremennogo kul'turnogo kino): avtoref. dis. … dokt. filol. nauk], Irkutsk, 2006. 42 р.
4. “The Law of Ukraine «On the Functioning of the Ukrainian Movie of the State of Sacrifice and the Order of the Foundations in Ukraine»” [“Zakon Ukraini «Pro funktsionuvannia ukrains`koi movi yak derzhavnoi ta poriadok zastosuvannia inshikh mov v Ukraini»”], available at: http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/ webproc4_1?pf3511=60952 (Access time: 07.02.2019).
5. “Quotas: 75% of the Ukrainian version of the “Diamond Hand” with subtitles” [Kvoti: 75 % ukrains`koi v tfiri ta “Diamantova ruka” z subtitrami], available at: https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/28504887.html (Access time: 21.12.2018).
6. Kozulyaev, A. V. (2013), “Audiovisual polysemantic translation as a special form of translation activity”, XVII Tsarskoye Selo Readings: materials of the Intern. scientific conf. [“Audiovizual'nyy polisemanticheskiy perevod kak osobaya forma perevodcheskoy deyatel'nosti”, XVII Tsarskosel'skiye chteniya: mat-ly mezhdunar. nauchn. konf.], vol. I, St. Petersburg, pp. 374–381.
7. Kostrov, K. E. (2015), “Audiovisual translation: quality problems”, Bulletin of VolSU. Ser. 9. Studies of young scientists [“Audiovizual'nyy perevod: problemy kachestva”, Vestnik VolGU. Ser. 9. Issledovaniya molodykh uchenykh], № 13, pp. 142–146.
8. Kuzenko, G. M. (2017), “Film translation as specialty type of artistic shift (to the materials of the English language)”, Odessa linguistic bulletin [“Kinopereklad euk osoblivii vid khudozhn`oho perekladu (na materiali anhliis`koii movi)”, Odes`rii linhvistichnii visnik], vup. 9, pp. 70–74.
9. Lotman, Yu. M. (2002), Semiosphere. Inside the thinking worlds [Semiosfera. Vnutri myslyashchikh mirov], St.-Petersburg, 2002.
10. Lukyanova, T. G. (2013), “Practical problems and transition: subtitling”, Shifting from scientific doslendzhennyakh representatives of Kharkov schools [“Praktichni problemi kinoperekladu: subtitruvann`ia”, Pereklad u naukovikh doslidzhenn`iakh predstavnikiv kharkivs`koii shkoli], pp. 275–294.
11. “Put into action the law on quotas for TV” [“Nabrav chinnosti zakon pro movni kvoti na TB”], available at: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-society/2323902-nabrav-cinnosti-zakon-pro-movni-kvoti-na-tb-75-kontentu-ukrainskou.html (Access time: 17.11.2018).
12. Radetska, S. V. (2016), “Subtitling as a type of audiovisual translation: advantages and disadvantages”, Philology science [“Subtitruvannya yak vid audiovіzualnogo perekladu: perevagi ta nedoliki”, Filolohichyi nauki], prince 2, pp. 81–84.
13. Sorokin, Yu. A. (1988), “Culture and its ethnopsycholinguistic value”, Ethnopsycholinguistics [“Kul'tura i yeye etnopsikholingvisticheskaya tsennost'”. Etnopsikholingvistika], Science, Moscow, pp. 5–18.
14. “Subtitles on the Ukrainian TV-forum – illegal” [Subtitri na ukrains`komu telebachenni – nezakonni], available at: https://day.kyiv.ua/uk/article/poshta-dnya/subtitri-na-ukrayinskomu-telebachenni-nezakonni (Access time: 14.12.2018).
15. Sukha, E. V. (2010), “Types of sources of cinema books as the basis of linguistic research”, Vestnik MGOU. Series: Linguistics [Tipy istochnikov kinorechi kak osnova lingvisticheskikh issledovaniy. Vestnik MGOU. Seriya: Lingvistika], № 2, pp. 68–74.
16. Ukrainian spelling (2012), [Ukrains`ki pravopis], Kyiv, 288 p.
17. Fedorova, I. K. (2009), “Movie text translation in the light of the concept of cultural transference: the problem of translational adaptation”, Bulletin of the Chelyabinsk State University. Philology. Art criticism [“Perevod kinoteksta v svete kontseptsii kul'turnogo perenosa: problema perevodcheskoy adaptatsii”. Vestnik Chelyabinskogo gos. un-ta. Filologiya. Iskusstvovedeniye], Vol. 39, No. 43 (181), pp. 142–149.
18. Schweitzer, A. D. (2009), Theory of Translation: Status, problems, aspects [Teoriya perevoda: Status, problemy, aspekty], Moscow, 216 p.
19. Aegisub. URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegisub (Access time: 14.12.2018).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.